parburypolitica
Thursday, January 25, 2007
  Deaflympics?
No I had never heard of this either. From the Japanese PM's weekly email...

Incidentally, do you know about the Deaflympics? The Deaflympics are an international sports event for hearing-impaired persons and, just as with the Olympics and Paralympics, both summer and winter sessions of the event are held once every four years. Yesterday I met with athletes who will represent Japan in the 16th Winter Deaflympics, which open in Salt Lake City in the United States on February 1.

This meeting took place because a person working for the organization that is sending our athletes to the event sent me an e-mail via the website of the Prime Minister's Office saying, "Although the Olympics and Paralympics are well-known, few people are aware of the Deaflympics, and so I am writing to ask for your support." I decided to meet with the athletes to encourage them in any way I could.

I tried my best to communicate in sign language. I was able to share my feelings with them, signing, "Hello everyone. I am Prime Minister Abe. Thank you for coming today," and "Please do your best to win a medal." I was very relieved when the athletes applauded me. I am sure these athletes have faced extra challenges because of their hearing impairment, and yet they were upbeat and did not give the slightest impression that their lives have been difficult.

To the contrary, I gained inspiration from their approach of taking the path they need to follow and working diligently toward their goals. The sight of people from all walks of life discovering their own special talents and abilities and then doing their best with them truly strengthens me.
 
Comments:
Why are you sucking up to the Japanese PM's office? He has no vote in Fylde. And there are few of his cars and bikes in the manor either.
 
I'm not sucking up to the Japanese PM's office at all, i'm highlighting something of interest.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Parburypolitica!


powered by Bloglet





Jon Cruddas for Deputy Leader


The delectable Kerron Cross


Adele


Newer Labour


Fair Deal Phil


Luke Akehurst


Michael Meacher MP


ThaLondonDiaries


Dirty Leftie


Hamer Shawcross


Skipper


Omar Salem


Chris Paul

Locations of visitors to this page
Add to Technorati Favorites


ARCHIVES
July 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 /

Powered by Blogger